Famous Boston Terriers

by kevin on February 22nd, 2011

in Rose McGowan

Rose McGowan Boston Terriers

Rose McGowan - Boston Terriers

Boston Terriers – Besides being the state dog of Massachusettes, Boston Terriers can also lay claim to being the first American dog breed recognized by the AKC. They’ve been a popular breed for many years in America and abroad, and have been the breed of choice for several celebrities, and even a U.S. president.

Famous Boston Terriers: A Boston Terrier / Pit Bull mix named, “Sergeant Stubby” was a decorated American WWI hero. Known for warning American soldiers against poisonous gas and imminent attacks, he was the mascot of the 102nd infantry. (he actually was promoted to the rank of “Sergeant”) Boston Terriers have owned former President Warren G. Harding and Helen Keller, as well celebrities including:

Famke Janssen (x-men) – Licorice
Rose McGowan – Fester (R.I.P.) & Bug
LeAnn Rimes – Harley
Allison Sweeny (Biggest Loser Host) – Winky
Joan Rivers – Lulu (R.I.P.)

More about Boston Terriers: Boston Terrier’s were originally bred as fighting dogs from a mix of Old English Bulldog and the English White Terrier. Bostons are part of the Non-Sporting group in the AKC, and because of their relatively large head size, like Bulldogs they are usually born via c-section.

sergeant stubby

Sergeant Stubby

Although known for being one of the more gassy dog breeds, (who can vouch for this!?) they have still retained the nickname of “The American Gentlemen.” Because of their short snouts, Boston Terriers are not fond of hot weather, and are known for snoring and grunting. Next time you are in Floydada, Texas, be sure to stop by theĀ Boston Terrier Museum.

coupons:

Sue J February 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hmm… how about Boston terrier’s personality? Is he aggressive? or territorial? or what? I want one! But, I still have to research on how will I raise it.

Pets Global Supply March 15, 2011 at 10:59 am

Great post you could not ask for a better dog. Sergeant Stubby was a decorated American WWI hero known for warning American soldiers against poisonous gas and imminent attacks. Go Army

Larry Carney March 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I love my Boston ( DIXIE ) she is the most loving and sweetest dog i have ever had , Gassy yes , OMG the paint run’s off the walls .

cordoba March 28, 2011 at 3:50 pm

excellent blog!!

Tobias June 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

My favorite dog breed – I love the Boston Terrier!

Erica September 12, 2011 at 4:43 am

Boston Terriers are sweet, energetic, and my Tootie loves everyone she meets! She’s always available for kisses and will always greet the children at the door with love and excitement when they come home from school. Seriously, I will never have another kind of dog again. This is the breed for me. She’s my best friend. I researched all breeds (always lived with dogs, but wanted my very own love that got along with my kids, our black lab was a mismatch.) and I decided to get a Bostie. I wanted a friendly dog who would be great with my children (aged when we adopted her, 1, 6, 7 & 9 years), cats, not to be prone to food aggression, and be energetic enough to play and go for walks, but lazy enough to cuddle at night. I found all of that and more in one small dog … Tootie, my Boston Terrier, my best friend. (named appropriately)

Amber June 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Boston’s Rule! You will not be disappointed if you take one home. Perfect companions and full of love :)

lisa July 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm

The perfect dog!! My Boston and I are moving to Boston, and I hope she will feel right at home!

christi riley November 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

CRISIS! Lost jobs, medical issues,Home and now need a new family for Boston Terrier, male, 2-3 yrs, active, trained and loves tennis balls. We can not afford to care for our canine family members. Must move by Nov. 30th! Heavy hearted and desperate! Any help???

christine February 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm

My grandmother had a Boston Terrier and I remember it being very playful and cute.
Thanks for sharing

Rhonda June 28, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Recieving my Boston three years ago literally saved my life. He was from an abusive family and so was I. I was homeless and Bubbles became my home. It was at a time that I felt I had no one and he was the best friend I have ever had.I have had many breeds during my lifetime and they are all so beautiful in their own right but the Boston has a the gift of true empathy, caring and concern. Bubbles is my hero and I am not surprized in the least that Sgt. Stubby was partially Boston Bull Terrier. If a movie needs to be made this is it. I had never heard about Sgt. Stubby until yesterday and the inspiration LITERALLY takes my breath away. Come on Disney!

joy July 10, 2014 at 2:53 am

my extended family has owned and a couple of times bred boston terriers all my life. I have a rescued one right now my third I have had since I have been an adult. they are no more gassy than any other breed. it depends on their diet if they are fed good quality dog food and kept off human food they are very seldom gassy less than humans actually.

joy July 10, 2014 at 2:56 am

bostons tend to adapt theirselves to their humans. they will take on the energy and lifestyle wherever they are loved this makes them A+ companion dogs!!

Cin December 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

Hey Sue J….I have been rescuing Bostons for 40 years now….They are the best breed of dog to have for a pet single or with family…They are great around children….and other animals….Smart little boogers and easy to train….They are notorious for passing nasty gas and snoring….otherwise they are dedicated to you for LIFE..As far as energy..if you have it they will too..If your laid back they are too..That’s with just about any dog. They do love balls…BIG balls…they will play with it til you have to take it away for fear of a heart attack…They ride it back n forth across the room/yard…If you choose to get one…Don’t buy..Adopt….It will be the best decision to choose a Boston known as “The Gentleman”,,, Good Luck..

Cin December 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

Christi Riley..You still need help for your BT?

boston house February 9, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I’ve learn a few excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for
revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to make this kind of magnificent informative
site.

Boston Terrier Luvers April 1, 2015 at 7:14 am

Enter the Boston Terrier Luvers Photo contest! From 4/1/15-4/7/15.. Upload your photo to our wall! Please include your bostie’s name, age, and brief description. There will be winners of different categories! All in good fun! Hope to see your pictures! (You must like our page for your entry to count!)