Mmm… bees! (DOH!)
Did you ever laugh at something that made you feel like you’re going to hell? That’s how I feel right now. These poor dogs snapped at bees and got stung. (And now look like sock monkeys)
As far as I know, they all seemed to recover well after a trip to the vet, and their owners were calm enough to snap priceless photos.
What to do if your dog gets stung by a bee
If it’s possible to get the stinger out, that will help your dog a lot. Use a tweezers to grab it, or a credit card to scrape it out, but try not to break the stinger, and make things worse.
For a mild sting, you can make a paste out of baking soda and water, and apply it to the area that was stung. Applying ice can also help sooth your dog’s pain.
Your dog may need to visit the vet!
Most of the time, your best bet is to get to the vet ASAP, as you may not be able to just pluck the stinger out, and it’s probably an operation better handled by the professionals.
Dog reactions to bee stings can differ
Also, if there is excessive swelling, your veterinarian will want to prescribe an over the counter antihistamine, which can help with allergic reactions.
Some dogs may have more severe reactions, including vomiting, pale gums, diarrhea, or behavioral changes. If any of these occur, get to your vet asap! (But remain calm in front of your dog)
In the meantime, I’m going to take a deep breath, and try not to smile at the pain of these poor dogs!
Photo credits: Mogul.ws